Child Support Modification

Modification of Child Support

In Illinois, child support is always modifiable. Regardless of what your divorce decree or Support Order says, you can have a child support obligation increased or decreased. If you need to have a Support Order modified, having the assistance of an experienced Chicago child support lawyer is what you need. At the family law firm of Taradash Given, P.C., our knowledgeable and dedicated family law attorneys have the experience you need to efficiently and effectively modify a child support Order.

Increasing Child Support in Illinois

If you are a custodial parent, you may seek an increase in child support if there has been a “substantial change in circumstances.” As stated above, in Illinois, child support is always modifiable. Even if you and the noncustodial parent made a deal outside of court to not modify child support, because child support is for the benefit of the children, you can always ask for an increase (so long as there has been a “substantial change in circumstances”). Some examples of a “substantial change in circumstances” are: an increase in the needs of the children; an increase in the ages of the children; an increase in the cost of living of the children; and in increase in the noncustodial parent’s income. An example of what does not constitute a “substantial change in circumstances” is when the noncustodial parent remarries. As a general rule, the other spouse’s income is not relevant when determining child support and will not be taken into consideration.

If you are seeking to increase the child support you are receiving, you should act quickly. Many times, seeking an increase in child support can be done retroactively. The increase you receive can go back to the date you file your papers in court.

Decreasing Child Support in Illinois

If you are a noncustodial parent in Illinois, you may seek a decrease in your child support obligation if there has been a “substantial change in circumstances.” A downward modification of child support may be appropriate when the noncustodial parent’s income has been reduced. But be careful, if you, as a noncustodial parent, voluntarily have your income reduced, then you probably won’t get a downward modification. For example, if you quit your job, voluntarily have your income reduced or behave in a way that makes you lose your job, then your request for a modification of support will probably be denied. If, however, you are paying support and you get laid off or if your employer cuts your hours, then you probably are entitled to a downward reduction.

If you are seeking to decrease your child support obligation, do not waste time. Any decrease you receive will not be retroactive. So, don’t wait … get the relief you deserve right away.

Are You In Need of Modifying a Child Support Order?

Regardless if you are seeking an increase or a decrease in child support, you should talk with an experienced Chicago child support attorney at Taradash Given, P.C. We have many years of experience in dealing with child support modification and are more than capable of quickly and efficiently dealing with your child support issue. To have a free, no hassle consultation with an experienced family law attorney, click here or call us at (312) 775-1020. We proudly serve clients in the greater Chicagoland area in addition to DuPage County, Will County, Lake County and other counties across Illinois.

Not Happy With Your Attorney?

It happens every day. Clients going through a divorce, or any family law matter, change lawyers during their case. It’s simply a fact of life. Sometimes the lawyer just doesn’t get the intricacies of divorce court or, perhaps, the client and the lawyer just don’t get along.

Frequently Asked Questions

When going through a divorce, most people don’t know what to expect. From the length of the divorce to the cost and everything in between, there are many unknowns. Relax. This is why it is important to have a seasoned Chicago divorce lawyer representing you.

Client Reviews

Excellent lawyer and a good human being - He was fast, he was empathetic, he was sure about what he was doing, got me my divorce very quickly while I was stuck with another lawyer for 6 months. Very courteous and doesn't try to bluff you.


Dean helped me through one of the worst times of my life. I married my best friend and we had three kids together. After things began to turn for the worst she sought a divorce and began threatening to withhold my children from me. She then kicked me out of our home. This became a nasty divorce and...


In addition to knowing his stuff, Dean was very supportive during a process that was emotionally difficult. He listened and helped me every step of the way in the divorce process. Dean was very responsive and everything was handled very professionally. Highly recommend.

Angi M.

By far this is the best experience I’ve had! They were considerate of my feelings and misfortune due to my injuries! They always got back to me on the progress of my claim! I would recommend them highly if your looking for a good legal team! Thank you Steve for all your hard work and what you did...

Kimberly W.

I want to express my appreciation for the exceptional work done by Morgan at Taradash Given P.C. She worked day and night negotiating with my former spouse and was a true advocate. Her commitment and dedication to my case did not go unnoticed and I am very grateful for her efforts. Additionally...

Ashley M.

Contact Us

  1. 1 Free Consultation
  2. 2 20 Years of Experience
  3. 3 100% Commited to Clients
Fill out the contact form or call us at (312) 775-1020 to schedule your free consultation.

Leave Us a Message