COVID-19: How We are Serving and Protecting Our Clients

Justia Lawyer Rating
Legal Reach verified
American Bar Association
Chicago Bar Association
BBB Accredited Business Avvo Rating
Expertise Best Family Lawyers in Chicago
Expertise Best Divorce Lawyers in Chicago

Child Support Modification

Modification of Child Support

In Illinois, child support is always modifiable. Regardless of what your divorce decree or Support Order says, you can have a child support obligation increased or decreased. If you need to have a Support Order modified, having the assistance of an experienced Chicago child support lawyer is what you need. At the family law firm of the Taradash Group, P.C., our knowledgeable and dedicated family law attorneys have the experience you need to efficiently and effectively modify a child support Order.

Increasing Child Support in Illinois

If you are a custodial parent, you may seek an increase in child support if there has been a “substantial change in circumstances.” As stated above, in Illinois, child support is always modifiable. Even if you and the noncustodial parent made a deal outside of court to not modify child support, because child support is for the benefit of the children, you can always ask for an increase (so long as there has been a “substantial change in circumstances”). Some examples of a “substantial change in circumstances” are: an increase in the needs of the children; an increase in the ages of the children; an increase in the cost of living of the children; and in increase in the noncustodial parent’s income. An example of what does not constitute a “substantial change in circumstances” is when the noncustodial parent remarries. As a general rule, the other spouse’s income is not relevant when determining child support and will not be taken into consideration.

If you are seeking to increase the child support you are receiving, you should act quickly. Many times, seeking an increase in child support can be done retroactively. The increase you receive can go back to the date you file your papers in court.

Decreasing Child Support in Illinois

If you are a noncustodial parent in Illinois, you may seek a decrease in your child support obligation if there has been a “substantial change in circumstances.” A downward modification of child support may be appropriate when the noncustodial parent’s income has been reduced. But be careful, if you, as a noncustodial parent, voluntarily have your income reduced, then you probably won’t get a downward modification. For example, if you quit your job, voluntarily have your income reduced or behave in a way that makes you lose your job, then your request for a modification of support will probably be denied. If, however, you are paying support and you get laid off or if your employer cuts your hours, then you probably are entitled to a downward reduction.

If you are seeking to decrease your child support obligation, do not waste time. Any decrease you receive will not be retroactive. So, don’t wait … get the relief you deserve right away.

Are You In Need of Modifying a Child Support Order?

Regardless if you are seeking an increase or a decrease in child support, you should talk with an experienced Chicago child support attorney at the Taradash Group, P.C. We have many years of experience in dealing with child support modification and are more than capable of quickly and efficiently dealing with your child support issue. To have a free, no hassle consultation with an experienced family law attorney, click here or call us at (312) 775-1020. We proudly serve clients in the greater Chicagoland area in addition to DuPage County, Will County, Lake County and other counties across Illinois.

Client Reviews
Excellent lawyer and a good human being
He was fast, he was empathetic, he was sure about what he was doing, got me my divorce very quickly while I was stuck with another lawyer for 6 months. Very courteous and doesn't try to bluff you.
Dean helped me through one of the worst times of my life. I married my best friend and we had three kids together. After things began to turn for the worst she sought a divorce and began threatening to withhold my children from me. She then kicked me out of our home. This became a nasty divorce and I did not know what to do. After having an attorney who did nothing for me I saw Dean’s avvo page and decided to contact him. This was the best thing I could have done. Peter