COVID-19: How We are Serving and Protecting Our Clients

Justia Lawyer Rating
Legal Reach verified
American Bar Association
Chicago Bar Association
BBB Accredited Business Avvo Rating
Expertise Best Family Lawyers in Chicago
Expertise Best Divorce Lawyers in Chicago

Temporary Restraining Orders/Preliminary Injunctions

Protecting Property and Money During Your Divorce Case

In the beginning stages of a divorce case, one spouse might try and move property and money in an attempt to hide these from the other spouse. If you fear that your spouse will liquidate financial accounts or transfer property, then it is imperative that you work with a seasoned lawyer. The attorneys at the Taradash Group, P.C. have the knowledge and experience to help safe guard your money and property.

What is an Injunction?

Simply put, an injunction is an Order requiring your spouse to either do something or refrain from doing something. Temporary restraining orders and/or a preliminary injunction may restrain the transfer of property; enjoin your spouse from removing your child from the jurisdiction of the court; enjoin your spouse from interfering with your personal liberty; or provide other injunctive relief.

Requirements for an Injunction

Basically, there are four elements you must prove in order to obtain a preliminary injunction. First, you must show that you have a clearly ascertainable right which needs protection. Second, you must show that you will suffer irreparable harm if you don’t get the injunction. Third, you must establish that there is no adequate remedy at law for the injury. And fourth, you will have to show that you will likely be successful on the merits.

How do I get an Injunction?

In order to get an injunction, you have to file a Petition with the court. You must also attach an affidavit to your Petition. Be sure that you properly plead your Petition. The Petition must be based on facts and not conclusions. Your Petition also cannot be based on a “fear” that your spouse will cause you injury. This will not satisfy the requirement of showing the judge that without the injunction, you will suffer irreparable harm. Additionally, your judge will probably not grant an injunction based on a threat. You will have to show proof that the threatened act will be committed by your spouse. Lastly, you will have to show your judge that the perceived threat or harm cannot be protected with a less severe measure.

If the facts support it, you can obtain an injunction without providing notice to your spouse. You must prove that irreparable injury will occur if you provide notice to your spouse or if he/she is granted time to respond to your Petition.

Property Injunctions

During a divorce, your judge will seek to maintain the status quo. This can be accomplished by enjoining the transfer of property. This will also allow your judge to maintain jurisdiction over the property so that he/she can properly allocate the marital property between you and your spouse. Property injunctions cannot enjoin transfers of property for the basic necessities of life or in the ordinary and usual course of business.

Need to Protect Your Assets?

If you believe that you need an order during your divorce case enjoining your spouse from transferring or hiding money and/or property, then it is imperative that you work with a lawyer who knows how to protect your assets. At the Taradash Group, P.C., we have the experience and knowledge necessary to ensure that your spouse does not transfer property or liquidate assets. Please contact us online or call us at (312) 775-1020 for a free, no hassle consultation. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Client Reviews
Excellent lawyer and a good human being
He was fast, he was empathetic, he was sure about what he was doing, got me my divorce very quickly while I was stuck with another lawyer for 6 months. Very courteous and doesn't try to bluff you.
Dean helped me through one of the worst times of my life. I married my best friend and we had three kids together. After things began to turn for the worst she sought a divorce and began threatening to withhold my children from me. She then kicked me out of our home. This became a nasty divorce and I did not know what to do. After having an attorney who did nothing for me I saw Dean’s avvo page and decided to contact him. This was the best thing I could have done. Peter